I’m just working on a series of photographs of a dipper we watched in a river for a while last weekend, to post, but as I seemed to spend most of yesterday working on product photographs in order to create listings, I thought I’d do a quick post on my work of the last few days, as it gives me chance to give a little more background about how a design came about or evolved from something different.
I had an enquiry to re-make a pair of earrings in my sold portfolio, but it transpired, through conversation, that the customer didn’t actually have pierced ears, so I sourced some matching screw earwires to allow her to wear them straight out of the parcel, as she normally adapted them herself for wear.
The design featured some gorgeous glossy golden coloured honey opal briolettes which were heavily wrapped in fully oxidised copper, polished to the lovely burnished black of gunmetal, really setting off the colour of the opals.
I’d forgotten how gorgeous the honey opal briolettes are, so whilst I had them out and had got my eye back in for the wrapping technique, I re-made some of the original design with round loop earwires and also a different style, also with darkly oxidised copper. These featured two chunky hoops of copper, wire-wrapped at the top to form a hanging loop and a more simply wrapped briolette hanging below.
I think that I might make another pair, but selectively polish back the copper on the wrapped sections and leave the plain areas dark, to give a two-tone finish, as I’ve already done on some designs. Alternatively, I could just use different metals for a mixed metal finish.
This necklace features large beads of stabilised chalk turquoise – a composite manufactured bead from the chalks associated with turquoise mining, but formed into a new stone when mixed with a resin and dyed – presumably the matrix is added in much the same way that I would do it making faux turquoise in polymer clay, as I have in the past.
Turquoise always lends itself to being worked with copper, the colours just always work so well together – and of course, the actual colour of turquoise originates from the copper minerals in the source materials where it forms.
The necklace started life as a bracelet – by the time I’d spiral wrapped and connected (with my own hand-sawn jump rings) enough of the chunky beads to get to a bracelet length, it became evident that it wouldn’t work that well as a bracelet, the beads were just too large, making sizing it appropriately for a bracelet to be an impossibiity without compromising the design – 6 beads made it too skimpy for most people, which would then necessitate the addition of several extra rings on the clasp – but then spoling the visual balance of the design. But with 7 beads, it would be rather too generous for most people.
So I left it on my bench for a few days whilst I thought about it, thinking that maybe a different feature clasp would be the answer, but decided that the scale was perhaps more appropriate for a necklace. As soon as I started looking at a chunky chain to add to it, I knew this was a better solution, it works very much better as a necklace than it did as a bracelet. I antiqued the copper and polished the chain back to co-ordinate with the greeny brown colour of the matrix in the ‘turquoise’ to get the finished look.
The last piece I photographed yesterday was a pair of earrings with long feature earwires. A customer had asked me for something along these lines, so I had a tinker with some new shapes for longer earwires that in themselves would be a strong feature of the earring design. I liked this shape and just added a simple but chunky dangle to the bottom.
In this case, they’re black spider web jasper beads hung on a chunkier than usual headpin, hammered into a flat paddle pin which has been shaped and polished and then double wrapped above the stone for a little extra weight and balance, then antiqued to bring out the warm tones of the copper and enhance the wrapped texture. I liked the simplicity of this arrangement, so I plan on adding more to my portfolio with different stones.
I finished another piece this week too – one I think I posted some time ago when I made the initial central component. This knotted piece of Sterling silver sat in my WIP box for a long while, so that I could think of how to use it/finish it off best. I was working on the principle that as a design didn’t immediately come to mind, my sub-conscious would sort it out on its own in due course if left to work in peace.
I hate forcing designs, I never feel that they are fully satisfactory if you have to labour them to make them work. Most pieces come together pretty rapidly, but the occasional one just doesn’t fall in place immediately and this was one such element.
In the end, turning it over in my fingers one day while I finished my breakfast coffee, I decided that I was simply trying to over-complicate it. So a simple approach might be better in this instance. So in the end, all I’ve done is attach it to some chain by using two sizes of graduating jump rings, to bridge the gap between the weight and width of the end of the knotted section and the finer chain, even though it’s quite a chunky belcher (rollo) chain.
Oh dear, it looks like I’ll just have to keep it for myself then!